NDA or National Defence Academy Exam is a national level exam organized by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) to recruit candidates in Army, Navy and Air Force. It is a two-tier examination, wherein, candidates qualifying the written test will also have to clear the SSB interview round.
Latest Update: NDA 2019 admit card has been released on the official website of UPSC. Download Now
- NDA I is scheduled for April 21, 2019 and NDA 2 is scheduled for November 17, 2019.
- The eligibility is different for every post, applicants must fulfil the complete NDA Eligibility to apply for the exam.
- The exam will be conducted in offline mode (pen and paper-based).
- The exam consists of 2 sections- Mathematics and General Ability Test. Total duration of exam is 5 hours combinedly for both sections. Check NDA Exam Pattern
- Syllabus of NDA exam is based on CBSE 10+2 standards.
- Candidates qualify the written test are called for NDA SSB Interview. Final selection is done on the basis of overall performance of the candidate.
NDA 2019 Highlights
|Exam Name||National Defence Academy|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission|
|Exam Type||National Level|
|Eligibility Criteria||Unmarried Male candidates can apply|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Duration||2 hours 30 minutes|
NDA 2019 Exam Dates
NDA Exam Dates for 2019 session have been released now. Here we are providing the official dates of NDA 2019:
|NDA 2019 events||NDA 1||NDA 2|
|Notification Issue Date||January 09, 2019||August 07, 2019|
|Last Date to Submit the Application Form||February 04, 2019||September 03, 2019|
|Admit Card Issue Date||March 2019||August 2019|
|Exam Date||April 21, 2019||November 17, 2019|
|Result Declaration Date||July 2019||October 2019|
NDA 2019 Eligibility criteria
There are various parameters on the basis of which the candidates’ eligibility is checked so that they can appear for the exam and eligible for the further procedure.
As per the nationality standards set by UPSC for NDA 2019, Candidates must have:
- Indian Citizenship or should be
- Subject of Bhutan
- Subject of Nepal
- Tibetan refugee who came to India prior to January 1, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- A PIO (Person of Indian Origin) who has come back from Burma, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Uganda, Kenya, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention to get settled down permanently in India.
- Only unmarried male candidates, who are not born before 2nd January 1999 and not after 1st January 2002 are eligible to appear for NDA 2019 conducted by UPSC.
- Candidates should enter their Date of birth as recorded in the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate or in a certificate recognized by an Indian University.
1. For Army wing
Candidates must have passed class 12 or cleared equivalent examination of the State board to be eligible for NDA 2019.
2. For Air Force or Naval wings and for 10+2 Cadet entry scheme at the Indian Naval Academy
Candidates must have passed 12th class with Physics and Mathematics as subjects or cleared equivalent examination of the State board to be eligible for NDA 2019.
Candidates who are appearing in 12th class or equivalent examination of the State board are also also eligible for NDA 2019.
NDA Application Form 2019
NDA Exam II application form was released on August 07, 2019. The forms were filled in online mode only. There are some points that the candidates need to keep in mind while registering for NDA 2019:
- Fill in the information carefully as no changes will be allowed to be made thereafter.
- All the necessary scanned copies of the documents should be in access while registering for the test.
- Note down the registration number once you have registered successfully.
- You must not send any printed form to the UPSC.
The fee for NDA (II) Application Form 2019 was INR 100/- . Candidates of reserved categories are exempted from paying any fee for the registration. Payment of fee can be done offline by paying cash in any State bank branch and offline as well by Credit or Debit card or through Net banking.
NDA Admit Card 2019
UPSC has released a notification with important instructions for NDA II which is scheduled for November 17, 2019.
The authority will release NDA II 2019 Admit Card via online mode on the official UPSC website.
- Visit upsc.gov.in to download NDA Hall Ticket 2019.
- To download the admit card, candidates have to fill up details like RID, Date of Birth or Roll Number u0026amp; other details.
- The admit card bear exam related details like students name, roll number, exam centre, exam date u0026amp; timing, etc.
- Without admit card, candidates will not be permitted to appear in the examination.
How to Download NDA 2019 Admit Card
To download follow the steps given below:
- Go to the official website of UPSC.
- A link for NDA II 2019 Admit Card Download will be provided, click on it.
- You must enter registration number/ roll number along with password and captcha code.
- Click on submit, the admit card will appear on the screen.
- Check all the details carefully and download multiple copies of it.
NDA 2019 Exam Centers
In the official notification for NDA II 2019, UPSC had listed 41 exam centers where the exam is scheduled to be held. While filling NDA Application Form, candidates have to mention their preferences from the drop-down menu. Candidates have to make 3 choices out of the given 41 centre options.
NDA 2019 Exam Pattern
NDA 2019 has been conducted in offline mode on September 9, 2019. The test has two sections- Mathematics (300 marks) and General Knowledge (600). The time duration for each paper is 2 hours and 30 minutes. The following table has further information regarding duration, number of sections, and number of questions:
|Exam Pattern Highlights|
|NDA 2019||Mathematics||General ability test|
|Exam Duration||2 hours and 30 minutes||2 hours and 30 minutes|
|No. of sections||1||2 (English and General Knowledge)|
|Total no. of questions||120||150|
|Total marks||300||600 (English (200) + GK (400))|
|Marking scheme||2.5 for correct and -0.83 for incorrect||4 for correct and -1.33 for incorrect|
|Medium||English and Hindi||English for English section. English and Hindi for GK section|
|Type of questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
The candidates can go through the above bifurcation for the clarity regarding Exam pattern of NDA 2019.
The general knowledge section of the NDA 2019 consists of the following topics:
- Physics (100 marks)
- Chemistry (60 marks)
- General Science (40 marks)
- History and Freedom Movement (80 marks)
- Geography (80 marks)
- Current Events (40 marks)
NDA 2019 Syllabus
The syllabus for NDA 2019 written test will comprise two sections- Mathematical Ability and General Ability.
The questions in NDA II 2019 will be asked from topics and concepts of 10+2 level. Following are the topics from Mathematical Ability and General Ability sections covered as a part of NDA 2019 Syllabus.
NDA Syllabus for Mathematical Ability
|NDA Syllabus for Mathematics|
|Algebra||Matrices and Determinants|
|Trigonometry||Analytical Geometry of Two and Three Dimensions|
|Differential Calculus||Integral Calculus and Differential Equations|
|Vector Algebra||Statistics and Probability|
NDA Syllabus for General Ability
Topics from the English and General Knowledge will be covered in General Ability section of NDA 2019. General Knowledge will comprise of the following:
- General science
- Current Affairs
Preparation Books for NDA 2019
It is always suggested to go for the best books for NDA 2019 Preparation. Given below are some of the best books which can be referred to prepare for Mathematical Ability and General Ability Sections of NDA 2019.
Books to Prepare for Mathematical Ability
|Book Name||Author/ Publisher|
|Mathematics for NDA and NA: National Defence Academy and Naval Academy||R S Aggarwal|
|Quantitative aptitude for competitive examinations||R S Aggarwal|
|Study Package MATHEMATICS NDA u0026amp; NA Entrance Exam||Arihant|
|NDA Mathematics (Hindi)||RPH Editorial Board|
Books to Prepare for General Ability
|Book Name||Author/ Publisher|
|History Of Modern India (History)||Bipan Chandra|
|Science and Technology in India (Science and Technology)||Kalpana Rajaram : Spectrum|
|Oxford School Atlas (Geography)||Oxford|
|Social Problems In India (Indian Society – GS1)||Ram Ahuja|
|Objective General English for Competitive Exams||S.P. Bakshi|
|Manorama Yearbook 2017||Mammen Mathew|
Some Useful Tips for NDA 2019 Preparation
Here are some useful NDA Preparation Tips to score better in the exam:
- Be thorough with the NDA Syllabus and exam pattern.
- Do not forget to refer to class 11 and Class 12 NCERT books.
- Practice the basic formulae/ concepts from Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
- Plan a preparation schedule and practice as many NDA Practice Papers as possible.
- In English section, focus on reading comprehension, basic grammar and vocabulary and revise the basic grammar rules from a reliable source.
- Be well aware of current affairs and events that are making news.
- Make sure the political and historical scenario of India is on your tips.
Take help from coaching centers if required, but make sure they hold a good record.
NDA 2019 Answer Key
NDA 2019 Answer key will be out after the commencement of the exam. The official answer key will be released soon after the exam is conducted. However, various leading NDA Coaching institutes will release the answer keys with correct answers to every question.
The steps to download NDA 2019 Answer Key are as follows:
- Visit the official website of UPSC
- Navigate to ‘NDA II 2019 Answer Key’ link
- Download the answer key as per your question paper set (A, B, C or D).
- Click on it and download the answer key for future reference.
NDA 2019 Result
The result of NDA II 2019 written examination will be released after one month from the exam. NDA 2019 Result will be declared via online mode through the website. The result of shortlisted candidates for SSB Interview will be displayed in PDF format.
Shortlisted candidates are needed to appear for the SSB Interview round organized by the Services Selection Board (SSB) of the Ministry of Defence. After clearing the SSB interview u0026amp; other rounds, the final result will be declared.
Following are the steps to check NDA 2019 Result:
- Go to the official website of UPSC- upsc.gov.in
- Navigate to “What’s New” section.
- Click on the link stating NDA II 2019 Written Exam Result or NDA II 2019 Final Result
- A pdf will be displayed on the computer screen containing the list of qualified roll numbers.
- Download the pdf file for future reference.
NDA 2019 Expected Cut Off
NDA 2019 Expected Cutoff will remain between 340-360 in written test, whereas overall cut off will be in the range of 700- 720. In order to understand the previous year cut off trends of NDA Cut Off, check the table below:
|Year||NDA(I) (Max Marks:900)||NDA(II) (Max Marks:900)|
|2015||306 (With at least 30% marks in each Subject) Marks secured by the last finally recommended candidate (out of 1800 marks) 674||269 (With at least 25% marks in each subject) Marks secured by the last recommended candidate (Out of 1800 marks) 637|
|2016||288 (With at least 25 % marks in each Subject) Marks secured by the last finally recommended candidate (Out of 1800 marks) 656||315|
|2017||342(With at least 25 % marks in each Subject) Marks secured by the last finally recommended candidate (Out of 1800 marks) 708||–|
NDA SSB Interview
The selection process in the National Defense Academy is a two-stage process. Stage-1 is the written examination i.e. NDA 2019 test and the stage-2 is the SSB interview stage
- The complete recruitment process in the NDA is judged on the basis of marks scored out 900 collectively in both the stages of recruitment.
- After the declaration of NDA 2019 Results, qualified candidates will have to register themselves at joinindianarmy.nic.in within two weeks.
- Allotment of selection centers and dates will then be notified on the registered email ID.
- SSB Interview comprise two stages- Stage 1 (OIR u0026amp;PPDT) and Stage 2- (Interview, Group Tasks, Psychology Test and Conference).
- After stage-2 is completed, a final merit list is generated by the UPSC which gives the final recruited candidates.
Click Here Complete NDA Selection Process
NDA 2019 Document Verification
After personal interview round the eligible candidates will have to appear for the verification round. The qualified candidates must bring the required original documents along with 1 set of Photostat of the required documents at Services Selection Center (SSC).
Below is the set of required original documents to be carried for the NDA 2019 Document Verification:
- Qualification Certificate
- Proof of Identity (Pan card, Voter ID, Aadhar Card, etc.)
- Birth Certificate
- Passport Size Photographs
- Category certificate for the Reserved category candidates
- Proof of Residence
Medical examination is the final round in the Selection process. The candidates will be referred to the Board of Service Medical officers by the SSB for medical examination. Candidates shall be deemed eligible for recruitment if and only if they are found to be medically fit by the medical officers.
Ques. Who is the exam conducting body for NDA 2019?
ANS. Union Public Service Commission conducts the test for vacancies for various posts at National Defence Academy (NDA). NDA 2019 notification has been released for 415 posts.
QUES. What is the procedure for selection in NDA 2019?
ANS. For admissions to NDA, candidates will have to appear for Written Test conducted by UPSC followed by Intelligence u0026amp; Personality Test by SSB.
QUES. What is the division of total posts in various defence branches?
ANS. The total vacancies will be divided into following categories:
National Defence Academy: 360
- Army: 208
- Navy: 60
- Air Force: 92
Naval Academy (10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme): 55
QUES. What is the educational eligibility criterion for NDA 2019?
ANS. Candidates must satisfy the qualification requirements as given below:
- For Army Wing of National Defence Academy (NDA): Passed Higher Secondary Examinations from State/ Central Education Board/ University
- For Air Force u0026amp; Naval Wings of National Defence Academy: Passed class 12th examinations with Physics u0026amp; Mathematics as compulsory subjects
- Students appearing for class 12th examinations are also eligible to apply for admissions.
- Such candidates who qualify SSV Interview must submit the proof of the academic qualification latest by December 01, 2019, failing which their selection will be cancelled.
QUES. Is there any age criteria to apply for NDA 2019?
ANS. Yes, as per the official notification candidates must fulfill the age criteria as stated:
- Applicants must be born between July 02, 1999 and July 01, 2002 (including both dates).
- The Date of Birth mentioned in Matriculation/ Higher Secondary Examinations Certificate or an equivalent certificate will be accepted by the Commissions. No changes will be allowed after the submissions of NDA 2019 Application Form.
QUES. Can foreign national candidates apply for NDA 2019?
ANS. To apply for NDA 2019, applicants must be either one among of following:
- An Indian Citizen
- A subject of Bhutan u0026amp; Nepal
- A Tibetan Refugee before January 01, 1962.
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in Indians.
QUES. Can married students apply for the posts?
ANS. No, only unmarried male candidates are eligible to apply.
QUES. Are there any special physical standards requirements?
ANS. Yes, candidates will have to meet the physical standards as decided by UPSC.
QUES. What are the physical standards requirements for Army/ Air Force?
|Height (In Cms) Without Shoes||Weight (in kgs)|
|16-17 years||17-18 years||18-19 years|
QUES. Is the physical standards requirements same for Navy?
No, the exam conducting body lays down different requirements for candidates opting for Navy:
Height/ weight Standards for Navy
|Height (In Cms) Without Shoes||Weight (in kgs)|
|16-17 years||17-18 years||18-19 years|
QUES. Are there any special requirements for Air Force pilot?
ANS. To meet special requirement of Air Force Pilot the acceptable measurements are given below:
|Leg Length||99 cms||120 cms|
|Thigh Length||–||64 cms|
|Sitting Height||81.50 cms||96 cms|
QUES. Will the test be conducted online?
ANS. No, the test will be conducted offline, through pen and paper mode.
QUES. What will be the duration of test?
ANS. Each test, Mathematics and General Ability test will be for the duration of 2.5 hours (150 minutes).
QUES. What will be the pattern of questions?
ANS. All the questions will be multiple choice based (MCQs) for which answers will be marks in OMR sheets?
QUES. Is there any negative marking in the written test?
ANS. Candidates must note that for every wrong answer they attempt in objective type question paper, there will be negative marking of 1/3 (0.33) marks.
QUES. What are the modes of payment of application fee?
ANS. Application fee can be paid through following methods:
- Cash Deposite in any branch of SBI
- Through Net Banking facility of SB/ State Bank of Bikaner u0026amp; Jaipur/ State of Hyderabad/ State Bank of Mysore/ State Bank of Patiala/ State Bank of Travancore
- Visa/ Master Credit/ Debit cards
QUES. Can the answers in OMR sheet marked in any colored pen?
ANS. For writing and marking answers in OMR sheet (answer sheet), applicants must use black ball point pen. Pens of any other colour are prohibited. Answers attempted with ink pen or pencil will not be marked.
QUES. Do I need to carry any document along with the admit card?
ANS. Candidates must carry a original Photo ID proof along with the admit card to the examination venue.
QUES. What all items are allowed in the examination hall?
ANS. Candidates can carry clipboard or hardboard and black ball point pen to fill responses in OMR sheet to the examination hall. Rough sheets will be supplied by the invigilator.
QUES. What is the syllabus for Mathematics test?
ANS. Following topics will be included in Mathematics test:
- Matrices u0026amp; Determinants
- Analytical geometry of two and three dimensional
- Differential calculus
- Integral Calculus u0026amp; Differential equations
- Vector Algebra
- Statistics u0026amp; Probability
QUES. What is the syllabus for General Ability Test?
ANS. The General Ability Test will consist of following sections:
- Part A: English
- Part B: General Knowledge which will include following sections:
Section A: Physics
Section B: Chemistry
Section C: General Science
Section D: History u0026amp; Freedom Movements
Section E: Geography
Section F: Current Affairs
QUES. What is the procedure for Intelligence u0026amp; Personality test by SSB?
ANS. Intelligence u0026amp; Personality test by SSB will be conducted in two stages:
- Stage 1: This will include Officer Intelligence Rating test:
- Stage 2: Interview, Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Test, Conference
QUES. Which test will be included in Officer Intelligence Rating test?
ANS. OIR test will include following tests:
- Picture perception
- Descriptive test
QUES. What will be the duration of SSB?
ANS. SSB will be conducted over the duration of 4 days.
QUES. In how many languages will the test be conducted?
ANS. The test will be bilingual i.e available in Hindi and English.
QUES. Are NDA cadets permitted to take phones inside the campus?
ANS. No, NDA cadets are not permitted to keep phones.
QUES. How many students get merit out each year?
ANS. In SSB only 550 candidates are recommended. After the physical test, only 380 to 400 candidates are finally selected. Rest are eliminated on grounds of being unfit physically or medically.
QUES. Are NDA candidates permitted to use trimmers for facial hairs?
ANS. No, NDA cadets must use razors as first thing in the morning for shaving.
QUES. What is the normal day routine for NDA Cadets?
ANS. Their day starts at 4:30 in morning. At 6:00 hours they must attend the muster parade. From 6:30, for next 100 minutes starts the PT and Drill.
- From 8:15 to 9:15 hours is the breakfast time.
- From 9:30 hours to 13:30 hours the classes are conducted.
- From 13:30 to 14:00 hours is the lunch time.
- From 14:15 hours to 17:30 hours is the PT, Running and sports time.
- From 18:20 to 19:50 is the study observing hours in cabin.
- From 20:30 to 20:50 hours is the dinner time.
- From 21:00 to 22:15 emphasis is given to PT and upcoming events.
- Finally at 23:00 cadets observe strict lights out.