CAT 2019 (Common Admission Test) is a national level qualifying exam for admission into MBA, PGDM and other postgraduate management courses in India. It is conducted annually by the IIMs on a rotational basis. The entrance test is conducted in 2 sessions across 140 exam centers.
- As per eligibility, applicants should have a graduate degree with minimum 50% marks.
- CAT 2019 will be held in the fourth week of November 2019 in 2 sessions.
- CAT Application Form 2019 will be available from second week of August 2019.
- The application fee is INR 1800 for a General category applicant.
- The exam is held for admission into PG management programs offered by the IIMs and other business schools across India.
- It is an online exam which will consist of a blend of 100 MCQ and Non- MCQ type questions.
- CAT 2019 Result will be declared by the second week of January 2020.
CAT 2019 Exam Dates
The schedule proposed for CAT 2019 is given below. The important dates regarding admission process will be available on the official website of the organizing institute.
|Event||Date (Tentative)||Reference Links|
|CAT 2019 Official Notification||July 29, 2019||Check CAT 2019 Official Notification|
|CAT 2019 Application Form||August 8, 2019||CAT Application Form ends on September 19, 2019|
|CAT 2019 Form Correction Window||September 27- September 30, 2019||–|
|Release of CAT Admit Card 2019||October 24 – November 25, 2019||Download CAT Admit Card 2019 from iimcat.ac.in|
|CAT 2019 Exam Date||November 25, 2019||Exam duration will be of 3 hours|
|CAT Result Date 2019||Second Week of January 2019||Check CAT Result 2019 online at iimcat.ac.in|
CAT 2019 Eligibility
The detailed CAT Eligibility 2019 is given here:
- There will be no age restriction for taking the CAT examination.
- Qualifying Exam:Candidates must have a bachelor’s or its equivalent degree.
- Minimum Marks:Pass the above exam with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (45% marks for SC/ST/PWD categories).
- Appearing candidatesof the final year of Bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification examination can also apply.
- Candidates, those possess an equivalent examination recognized by the MHRD, Government of India (including AMICE of the Institution of Civil Engineers (India) as an equivalent qualification) can also apply.
CAT 2019 Application Form
CAT 2019 Application Form will be available from the second week of August 2019. Participants will be required to fill up general details like personal information and academic qualifications. The application forms can be filled via online mode only on the official website i.e. iimcat.ac.in. The application process consists of 3 steps which are given below:
- Registration by providing basic details to get candidate’s user ID and Password.
- Fill CAT 2019 Application Formand upload required documents.
- The final step is payment of CAT Application Fee before final submission of the online application form.
How to Fill CAT 2019 Application Form?
Students can go through the following the guidelines to apply for the exam:
- Visit the official website of CAT 2019 and click on ‘Registration for New User’. The registration form to create the User Profile will appear.
- Enter general details like name, date of birth and contact details- valid mobile number and email ID.
- Applicants will have to verify their mobile number through OTP.
- Once the OTP is verified, students will receive an email which will have their User ID and Password. The same will also be sent on the registered mobile number.
- Login using these credentials to proceed with the application process.
Filling of Application form
- Once logged in, CAT 2019 Application Form will appear.
- Aspirants will have to enter personal and contact details as well as details about their academic qualification, work experience, preference of program and exam center.
- They must then upload scanned images of their recent photograph, signature and category certificate (SC, ST, NC-OBC and PwD category).
- After checking the details, click on ‘Save and Continue’ to pay the application fees.
Payment of Application Fee
- The final step to complete the application form is to remit the requisite application fees.
- Application fee can be paid only by the online method.
- Candidates can pay the fee using Credit/ Debit card, Net Banking and Cash Card & Wallet.
- Fill the necessary fields with payment details on the bank page and save the receipt of the online transaction as proof of payment.
- Upon successful submission, aspirants will receive an email related to the status of application.
- Take a print out of the application form for further correspondence.
CAT 2019 Application Form Correction
If candidates make mistakes while filling CAT 2019 Application form, they can rectify it during the limited time when the forms are open for correction. The conducting authority allows students to make corrections in selected entries only. The correction window will open after the application process is over.
The details which can be corrected are as follows:
- Programs selected
- Percentage of marks scored
- Work experience
Steps to make corrections in CAT 2019 Application Form:
- Go to the official website of CAT, i.e.ac.in.
- Click on ‘Existing user’ tab.
- Enter log in credentials such- User Id and Password.
- Go through the various sections of the application form and make corrections accordingly.
- Click on ‘save and continue’ or ‘save’ to exit the portal.
CAT 2019 Application Fee
CAT 2019 Application Form will be submitted successfully only after the payment of application fee. Students will be required to pay the application fees according to their category at the time of registration. Those individuals who do not remit the application fee will not be eligible for CAT 2019.
Fee can only be rendered through the online mode. Aspirants can use Credit/ Debit card, Net Banking or Cash Card & Wallet facility to pay the fees. The category wise fee for CAT 2019 is mentioned below:
|General (UR)||INR 1800|
|NC- OBC||INR 1800|
|SC/ ST||INR 900|
CAT 2019 Admit Card
CAT 2019 Admit Card will be issued to applicants who have successfully registered for the exam. It will be released in the second week of October 2019. Admit cards can be downloaded from the official website of CAT. The governing body will not send hard copies of the hall ticket by post.
- Admit Card must be retained till the time of admission and counseling, duly signed by the exam supervisor.
- The details about the individual such as his Name, Roll number, Date of birth, time slot and exam center allotted along with the address will be printed on the hall ticket.
- It is a mandatory document of the entrance exam without which, no individual will be permitted into the exam hall.
Steps to download CAT 2019 Admit Card are given below:
- Log on to the official website of CAT.
- Login using the User ID and Password.
- Click on ‘Download Admit Card’ to access the hall ticket.
CAT 2019 Exam Center
- CAT 2019 will be conducted in 140 exam centers across the country.
- Participants will be allowed to choose 4 cities for the online entrance test as their preferred exam center.
- They should exercise their choices in the application form according to their convenience.
- The governing authority will allot a center to the individuals and the venue of the center will be mentioned in the admit card.
CAT 2019 Exam Pattern
Candidates, check this section to know complete details about CAT Exam Pattern:
- Exam Mode:The examination will be digital or Computer Based Test (CBT).
- Session:The examination will be held in two sessions.
- Duration:The duration of the examination will be 180 minutes (3 hours).
- Type of Questions:In the examination, objective & subjective type questions will be asked.
- Number of Questions:Total 100 questions will be asked in the examination.
- Marking Scheme:For the correct answer, three marks will be allotted to the candidates.
- Negative Marking:The will be no negative marks for subjective type questions, For MCQs type question, one mark will be deducted for the wrong answer.
|Sections||Subjects||Time Allotted||Number of Questions||Total Marks|
|Section I||Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||60 minutes||34||102|
|Section II||Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||60 minutes||32||96|
|Section III||Quantitative Ability||60 minutes||34||102|
CAT 2019 Syllabus
There is no set syllabus for CAT 2019 but we can determine the syllabus based on the analysis of previous exam patterns. Questions asked in the exam are upto 10+2 level covering a multitude of topics. The detailed CAT 2019 Syllabus are given below:
|Verbal and Reading Comprehension||Verbal reasoning, antonyms and synonyms, analogies and reverse analogies, sentence correction, facts inference judgments, critical reasoning, fill in the blanks, syllogism, summary questions, passage based questions|
|Data Interpretation||Area graph, Venn diagram, Line and Pie Charts, Column and Bar graphs, Caselets and Tables|
|Logical Reasoning||Number and letter series, Syllogism, Clocks, calendars and cubes, Directions, Blood relations, Binary Logic, Coding-decoding, Logical sequence, Matrix and linear arrangement|
|Quantitative Ability||Number system, Geometry, Algebra, Permutation and Combination, Mixtures and Alligations, Ratio & Proportion, Logarithm, Time & Work, Functions, Trigonometry, Coordinate Geometry and Mensuration|
CAT 2019 Result
CAT 2019 Result will be declared by the second week of January 2019. The results will be announced on the official CAT website in the form of a scorecard. These scorecards will contain the sectional and overall marks and percentile obtained by individuals in the exam.
It is valid for only this academic year. The results can be checked by following these few steps:
- Log on to the official CAT website.
- Select the option of ‘Download Scorecard’.
- Enter your User ID and Password to know your CAT Result.
- On your account’s page, you can download the scorecard.
- Download the result and take print out copies for future reference.
CAT 2019 Cut Off
The cut off for CAT 2019 will be decided after considering factors like number of applicants, difficulty level of exam, seats available and previous years’ cut off. Each IIM will announce its cut off for shortlisted aspirants for the selection process separately.
Candidates must clear sectional and overall cut off to be eligible for the subsequent rounds. The overall cut off for IIMs usually falls between 90- 99 percentile.
The top 3 IIMs- Ahmadabad, Bangalore and Calcutta have a cut off over 99 percentile. Cut off for other top business schools like FMS, JBIMS and SPIJMR is over 95 percentile. The expected CAT Cut off for top management colleges is-
|Name of Institute||CAT Cut off in Percentile|
CAT 2019 Selection Procedure
All the participating institutes have their own shortlisting criteria for admission. The basic norm is to clear the sectional and overall CAT 2019 Cut Off of the respective institutes. Applicants who fulfill such criteria will move forward to the next stage of selection process.
The CAT Selection Procedure followed by IIMs consists of Group Discussion (GD), Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI) rounds. These are explained briefly as follows-
- Candidates shortlisted based on their CAT scores have to appear for GD, WAT and PI rounds held by the IIMs or other b-schools.
- In the WAT round, students have to write an essay on the topic provided by the institute.
- The topic can be related to socio-political issues, current affairs or some idea. The essay should generally be completed within 30 minutes.
- For the GD round, applicants are divided into groups of 8-10 members wherein, they are required to discuss about the given topic.
- PI is the final round wherein aspirants are interviewed by a panel of 4-8 judges. This panel assesses the profile of individuals to see if he is fit for the chosen course.
Many top business schools follow a similar selection process. After all the rounds are conducted the institutes publish the final merit list. This list is created after considering all rounds of selection and CAT 2019 scores. Candidates are offered admission to various courses based on this merit list.